MinutemanUPS.com Forum Index MinutemanUPS.com
Power Protection Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with DC equipment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keefusa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Problems with DC equipment Reply with quote

I have a Netopia router that keeps rebooting. According to the logs in the router it is a "cold start" which, according to Netopia, will only be entered in the log if the power is cycled on the router. I have replaced the router twice, each time using a different AC adaptor, and tried 2 different APC Back-UPS Office 280s. An electrician ran a new, separate circuit, and both he and the power company claim that the power is "clean". I took one of the routers and connected it only to power, with no ethernet or t1 connected and it exhibited the same symptoms, effectively ruling out a telco problem. However the phones connected to the phone switch are also rebooting, which also us DC power. The AC adaptor for the Netopia is "INPUT: 120VAC 60Hz 31W, OUTPUT: 12VDC 1.5A, CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER". Is there an electrical abnormality that would affect DC devices without causing problems with say the lights? Is there a model of UPS that, when connected to it, COMPLETELY isolates the equipment from commercial power? Thank you.
jmoore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keefusa,
Good Morning,
It sounds like the Neotopia does not like a Square wave output. From this discription you need a Smart Sign series. [url=http://www.minutemanups.com/products/smartsine.php]http://www.minutemanups.com/products/smartsine.php[/url]

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jmoore (edited July 07, 2004).]
tbuchanon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keefusa

Is there an electrical abnormality that would affect DC devices without causing problems with say the lights?

YES, You could be experiencing a sag or a brownout, which is to say that your AC voltage has drop below the safe operating range.

Is there a model of UPS that, when connected to it, COMPLETELY isolates the equipment from commercial power? Thank you.

YES, You would need a true double conversion online UPS.

Tbuchanan
keefusa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by tbuchanon:
[b]YES, You could be experiencing a sag or a brownout, which is to say that your AC voltage has drop below the safe operating range.[/b]

Thanks for the response. We're looking for a retailer in the Philadelphia area that carries a UPS like you referred to, but I don't think it's a brownout situation. The electrician and the power company have both put monitors on the line and say the voltage is as clean as any. What's odd is that none of the computers, monitors, lights, etc. have any problems. It's only the router and the phone switch. And what's more odd than that is that it all started when we changed carriers for our data T1. We had problems with the new T1 when we initially moved over to it and it took about a week for the phone company to get it straightened out. Then the trouble started, with the phones and the router. I thought it might be an issue with "anything connected to the telco" but I disproved that because we plugged up one of the routers only to power, no t1 or ethernet, and it was also rebooting. We might go several days without a problem, and then there are days when it drops out 10-15 times. Thanks again for the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MinutemanUPS.com Forum Index -> Power forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: